Archive

Author Archive

Palace rules on personnel’s activities

December 5, 2011 Leave a comment

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang has ordered the three-month suspension of an elite group at the Bureau of Customs (BoC) for alleged abuse of authority and extortion activities.

In a two-page formal charge, Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa placed under preventive suspension for 90 days a Customs deputy commissioner and seven of his men in the Run After The Smugglers (RATS) group based on the complaint of a top stainless steel importer.

The suspension was imposed “considering the seriousness of the charges, the existence of prima facie case against the respondents that they are probably guilty thereof, which warrants their removal from the service,’’ the charge said.

It was signed by Ochoa on Sept. 29.

Suspended were Deputy Commissioner Gregorio Chavez and members of the RATS group: Lawyer Christopher Dy Buco, Edgar Quinones, Francisco Fernandez Jr., Alfredo Adao, Jose Elmer Velarde, Thomas Patric Relucio and Jim Erick Acosta.

They were given 10 days to rebut the allegations raised by Sanyo Seiki Stainless Steel Corp. for “grave misconduct, grave abuse of authority, oppression and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service.’’

The charges against Chavez and his men stemmed from their recent separate operations on the rented warehouses of Sanyo Seiki in Meycauayan, Bulacan and Caloocan City.

The operations were allegedly conducted with defective mission orders.

They were accused of “harassing Sanyo Seiki by posting BoC personnel outside the warehouses and impounding the truck and goods owned by Sanyo Seiki last July 9 without any warrant of seizure and detention,” Sanyo Seiki welcomed the Palace decision.

“We laud this swift justice given by President Pnoy’s administration to businesses, particularly Sanyo Seiki Stainless Steel Corporation, which are usually victimized by some crooked and corrupt men in government. Our President’s Matuwid na Daan thrust in governance has definitely proved its sincerity and truthfulness,” the firm said. (Raymund F. Antonio)

News from Manila Bulletin. 

Advertisements

Sanyo Seiki says BOC pestering hurts revenues

December 5, 2011 Leave a comment

SANYO Seiki Stainless Steel Corp. claims it is losing millions of pesos in lost revenuea due to alleged harassment by staff of the Bureau of Customs.

The company operates four stainless steel plants, capturing more than 50 percent of the local market, and is the largest importer of the metal. It also imports its products, which include angle bars, coils sheets, plates, flat bars pipes and tubes.

Last year, it posted P1.3 billion in revenues while customs duties and taxes paid amounted to P130.7 million.

Sanyo Seiki has lost P10 million to P15 million in unrealized revenues to date.

Jenny Chan, executive vice president, said her business is hampered by attempts of BOC officers to enter the company’s plant in Meycauayan, Bulacan, which so far have not succeeded as they carried defective mission orders.

“Since July 1, after we filed the graft and corruption case against BOC officials, some BOC personnel have guarded our warehouse. They have threatened to close our business,” she said.

Last January 20, the BOC sued Sanyo Seiki for misdeclaration, underweighting and undervaluing its steel and stainless steel importations by almost 90 percent.

Deputy Customs Commissioner Gregorio Chavez, executive director of the Run-After-The-Smugglers (RATS) Group, said Sanyo Seiki’s various importations last year were worth over P1.3 billion but the company declared the value at only P165.4 million.

BOC claimed the company had defrauded the government of P179 million.

Luis Angel Aseoche, a lawyer, said while the case is pending, there were “negotiations” initiated by those perceived to be close to the BOC.”

“They (Sanyo) were asked to give P179 million, saying ‘your problems at the BOC would go away. At that time, 72 shipments were on hold at the BOC. You know, when cargoes are seized, the importer cannot go on with their business.”

News from Malaya.

Palace orders customs team suspended

December 5, 2011 Leave a comment

Malacañang has ordered the 90-day suspension of an elite Bureau of Customs team of antismuggling operatives for alleged abuse of authority and extortion activities.

Suspended were Customs Deputy Commissioner Gregorio Chavez and seven of his men in the Run After The Smugglers (RATS) group following a complaint by  Sanyo Seiki Stainless Steel Corp.

The suspension was imposed “considering the seriousness of the charges, the existence of prima facie case against the respondents that they are probably guilty thereof, which warrants their removal from the service,” according to the formal charge signed by Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa on September 29.

The RATS team members suspended were lawyer Christopher Dy Buco and operatives Edgar Quinones, Francisco Fernandez Jr., Alfredo Adao, Jose Elmer Velarde, Thomas Patric Relucio and Jim Erick Acosta.

Chavez and the RATS members were given 10 days to answer the allegations raised by Sanyo Seiki of “grave misconduct, grave abuse of authority, oppression and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service.”

The charges against Chavez and his men stemmed from RATS’ raids on the rented warehouses of Sanyo Seiki in Caloocan City on July 1, and Meycauayan City, Bulacan, on July 4; and the impounding of trucks and goods owned by Sanyo Seiki on July 9.

The raids were allegedly conducted with defective mission orders while the impounding was done without the required warrant of seizure and detention.

Sanyo Seiki counsel Frank Chavez welcomed the Palace decision.

“We laud this swift justice given by the Aquino administration to businesses, particularly Sanyo Seiki Stainless Steel Corp., which are usually victimized by some crooked and corrupt men in government,” Chavez said in a statement.

News from Inquirer.net

Steel firm seeks Palace probe of Customs team’s illegal raids

December 5, 2011 Leave a comment

A steel company has called on President Aquino to look into alleged abuses of Customs personnel who, without authority, tried to raid its warehouse in Bulacan last week.

Sanyo Seiki Stainless Steel Corporation’s complaints followed the exchange of charges and counter-charges between it and Customs personnnel in a dispute that broke out last January.

“We have to be brave to come out now. We want to run our business peacefully. We have been in business for 16 years and it is our first time to experience this,” said Jenny Chan, vice president for finance of Sanyo Seiki Stainless Steel Corp.

Chan told reporters that a group of Customs employees tried to barge into the firm’s warehouse in Meycauayan, Bulacan armed with a “defective” mission order that had the wrong name and address.

The mission order dated June 30 also violated Customs Memorandum Order 52-93 for having no contact person and number from Customs Bonded Warehouse Unit, chan said. The “raiding team” was not accompanied by a representative of the Philippine Exporters Confederation, another violation of the rules, according to Chan.

The Customs personnel were denied entry to the warehouse after Sanyo Seiki’s legal group found their mission order defective.

Sanyo Seiki filed on June 29 graft charges, direct bribery, grave coercion, grave threats, betrayal of public trust and usurpation of authority against three Customs officials and four private individuals before the Ombudsman.

Charged were Customs Bonded Warehouse Unit chief and Collection Officer Lucila Medina; Deputy Commissioner and Run After The Smugglers Unit head Gregorio Chavez; his chief of staff, Jet Maronilla; spouses Godofredo and Anabelle Mozo, both Customs brokers; Leo Peter Paul Gonzales, a former chief operating officer of the steel firm; and a certain Marilyn Jong.

In its complaint, the firm said that Medina, Chavez and Maronilla conspired with private respondents to extort P15 million in order for them to refrain from disrupting the operations of Sanyo Seiki, release the illegally seized goods, and stop the undue publicity against the steel firm.

News from Manila Standard Today.

Steel firm sues 2 Customs officials for bribery

December 5, 2011 Leave a comment

THE president of Binondo-based Sanyo Seiki Steel Corp on Wednesday asked the Ombudsman to file direct bribery and graft charges against two officials of the Bureau of Customs and four private individuals.

Gregory Uy Chan, aka Greg Chan, of Sanyo Seiki Steel Corporation accused Customs Collection Officer Lucila P. Medina, chief of the Customs Bonded Warehouse Unit; Deputy Commissioner Gregorio Chavez, head of the Run-After-The-Smugglers and his chief of staff Jet Maronilla, of conspiring with private respondents Godofredo Mozo, Anabel Mozo and Marlene Jong, all Customs brokers.

Jong represented herself as the wife of Chavez , the complaint said.

Another accused is Leo Peter Paul Gonzales, former chief operating officer of Sanyo Seiki Steel.

Chan’s complaint said that Medina, Chavez and Maronilla conspired with private respondents to extort P15 million from him in order for them to refrain from disrupting the operations of Sanyo Seiki, release the illegally seized goods, and stop the undue publicity against the steel firm.

Not content with the P15 million they had extorted from him, Chan said the respondents also demanded P40 million in return for the withdrawal of the charges they filed against him before the Department of Justice.

Because of the concerted acts of the respondents, Chan said that banks refuse to transact with Sanyo Seiki.

While the case is being investigated, Chan said the accused Customs officials should be suspended to preclude them from committing further irregularities and to prevent them from using their powers to tamper with the records that may be pertinent to the case.

He said their problem started in November 2010 when private respondents started extorting money from him, allegedly in connivance with the accused Customs officials.

Chan said he was approached by the Mozo couple and warned him that the BOC would soon be creating problems for the steel firm.

Chan said he was also told by the Mozos not to panic as they could make his problem go away. “All I had to do was give them fifteen million pesos (P15,000,000.00). When I asked them what the said money was for, they told me that they will be giving this money to pay off certain BOC officials—including Commissioner Angelito Alvarez and Deputy Commissioner Gregorio Chavez at Quezon City—so that they will no longer make any problems for Sanyo Seiki,” Chan said.

News from Manila Standard Today.

Sanyo Seiki Stainless Steel Corp.

December 5, 2011 Leave a comment

Sanyo Seiki Stainless Steel Corporation shapes the industries. For twenty years now, it has been a stainless steel partner in architecture, infrastructure, manufacturing, transportation, food processing, mining, agriculture, name it.

Sanyo Seiki is steadily driven by a vision – that of providing only the best stainless steel products, processed only through cutting edge technology by a highly skilled and fully capable pool of personnel who employ only the highest standards of quality control.

Sanyo Seiki leads the industry in providing only the best stainless steel products in the Philippine market. It benchmarked the one-stop stainless steel shop. It also pioneered in finishing and remains the only company providing that stainless steel feature.

Sanyo Seiki is also aware of its environmental repsonsibility. As it only gives excellent product services, it also maintains nothing but the best treatment facilities after the tedious processing of its most sought after stainless steel line.

Nevertheless, stainless steel is stainless steel. It is durable. It is classy. It is everywhere – from homes to high rises. It has conquered our everyday. It has shaped not only the industries but also lives. Our lives.

Read more about Sanyo Seiki Stainless Steel.

Hello world!

December 5, 2011 1 comment

Welcome to WordPress.com. After you read this, you should delete and write your own post, with a new title above. Or hit Add New on the left (of the admin dashboard) to start a fresh post.

Here are some suggestions for your first post.

  1. You can find new ideas for what to blog about by reading the Daily Post.
  2. Add PressThis to your browser. It creates a new blog post for you about any interesting  page you read on the web.
  3. Make some changes to this page, and then hit preview on the right. You can always preview any post or edit it before you share it to the world.
Categories: Uncategorized